Cucumber is a popular fruit that is used extensively in salads, smoothies, pickles, soups and what not (even cakes!). It is extremely refreshing with 90% of it’s volume consisting of water and is very filling for the stomach because of it’s high fibre content, making it ideal for inducing weight loss.
Cucumber is probably native to India, originating some 3000 years ago and gradually spread eastwards toward China and westwards to the other parts of Asia, North Africa, and Europe. Cucumber plant is a creeping vine that needs a trellis or a supporting structure to grow. The plant has large leaves that form a canopy over the fruit.
Varieties of cucumber that are available in India include Baby Snacking Cucumbers, Turkish Cucumbers, English Cucumbers, Straight Eight, Japanese Long Green, Poinsette and many more. It is available in India all throughout the year due to the warm climate here. It is not very expensive too, thus making it an all-time favourite for health conscious people.
Become an Urban Farmer-
Enjoy the Fruits of your Hard Work
Become an Urban Farmer-Become an Urban Farmer in One Day Enjoy the Fruits of your Hard Work Click Here
Here are some benefits of eating cucumbers –
- Low on calorie – They are very low in calories. One cup of sliced cucumber has only 14 calories; less than 1% of the daily calorie requirement
- Induces weight loss – Its high fibre and water content keeps the stomach full for longer, helping a person not to snack in between two meals resulting in weight loss. Moreover, they do not contain any fat! Yes, they are absolutely fat-free. Due to this they will never lead to gain in weight.
- Keeps you hydrated – Cucumbers are 95% water and are great for keeping you hydrated in the extreme heat during summers in India.
- Keeps constipation at bay – cucumber is rich in fibre, aiding in digestion and preventing constipation. It is also refreshing, leading to increase in activity of the body, further burning fat.
- It frees the body from toxins and keeps the blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure regulated.
- Rich in vitamins & minerals – Cucumbers are loaded with antioxidants, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, B range vitamins (like folate) and fibre. Some skin-related ailments could be taken care of by including cucumbers in the diet. Staying fit goes along with having healthy skin. This can be affected by making cucumber into a face mask for application to the face or skin surfaces.